Sunday 4 March 2012

Finished Season 18 Scarf



At last, in February 2012 I completed the scarf. The time was mostly taken up in the later part of the creation by waiting for yarns to come in the post from the States. I thought I had enough, but I had been very wrong.

Spice and Garnet Lion Suede wool is next to impossible to find now. Luckily I managed to purchase some last orders from various stockists which now are completely out.

The scarf measures a huge 27 feet. That’s a lot knitting! It has not stretched yet, so in time it will measure over 29 feet which is over the length of my living room and not including the tassels.

The birth and then caring of my baby (now coming up for 9 months of age) took much of my spare time, so not much could be spent knitting.

The photo of the completed scarf I hope shows the accurate colour changes, including the crochet around the edging, as in the original.

My next project? Well, I have two in mind. The Andriods of Tara Romana costume and Season 16/17 Tom Baker scarf. The costume is for myself and the scarf will be made twice for a friend and for my dear hsuband. I may have to have two lots of needles going at the same time, but we shall see :)






Keep checking back as I update this blog more regulary now.






Have fun and keep safe x

5 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    I am currently working on a Season 18 in Lion Brand Suede, and I was wondering how many balls of yarn you ended up requiring. Most of the patterns I have found call for 4 balls of each color and one extra Spice for the edging. Did you need more than that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it looks perfect, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Matt.
    Thank you for the contact.
    Its always nice to hear from other people who are taking up their needles on a project such as this. So a big congratulations first of all to you :)
    I had to order more skeins as the recommended amount was not enough for me. Probably due to my stitch spacing.(so I would recommend you check that. I had to order x2 Garnet and x2 Spice and in the end only used one of each.
    I hope that this helps you Matt.
    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, thanks for the tip. I am about six feet into mine, but I think I am going to frog it and start over with larger needles. I am using US 9 and 44 stitches to make it wide enough, but the knit is fairly tight and I don't think it is going to drape properly.

    Have you made other Who scarves? I would love to see photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mat,
    It is my pleasure to help if I can.
    I think I used size 5 or 6 needles, which had the plastic cable in between them as they were easier to use for a scarf of this length.
    Try and keep your stitches a little looser then if it appears you are pulling the tension too hard. I measured 6 stitches to be approx 5CM.
    It would be a shame to undo all you have done so far, but I know what you mean and have done the same on other attempts in the past. Eventually with practice it will come right in the end.
    I have made season 12 Tom Baker scarf, a photo of which is shown on this site, draped over the season 12 coat.
    After I have finished the Romana Androids Of Tara costume, I shall be starting the season 16/17. I am just sourcing the wool for that now. Photos of these will be up as they are being completed.
    Keep me posted on your project as I would love to see how you get on.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete